Promoting students from one class to another in Churchteams involves two steps: 1) mass updating the Member Attribute (grade in school or similar) for a group/class and then 2) transferring that group into their new group/class.
Before you begin Promotion, consider if you will want to change the Family Role for anyone that is to be promoted, such as Child to Student or Student to Adult. (This is more easily done while they are still filtered into their group.) If so, go to the group where these members are, and use that group to mass change the Family Role of those members first, before promoting them. To do this, first go to the group, such as 12th grade.
- Select everyone in the group/class or at least everyone you want (the exception would be group leaders/class teachers) to change the Family Role. Under the green Action button select the option "Update Member Data".
- Click "Confirm" then in the pop-up box, use the dropdown menu to select Family Role. Use the dropdown to choose the new Family Role (Ex: Adult) and click Continue.
Now, to begin the PROMOTION PROCESS:
It is important that you start this process with your OLDEST class/grade, so that you empty the oldest group. The oldest grade group will then be empty for you to promote the next oldest group into. If you are unable to move the middle or high school groups before you need to promote your elementary classes, create a group to use as a temporary holding group until the youth groups are ready to receive those children in.
To begin, update any member attribute such as Grade in School or Graduation Year that you use, if you do.
- Select everyone in the group/class or at least everyone you want (the exception would be group leaders/class teachers) to promote out of the group. Under the green Action button select the option "Update Member Data".
- Click "Confirm" then in the pop-up box, use the dropdown menu to select the attribute you use to track grade/year. Use the default option "Change the value of this attribute to the selected value" and use the dropdown to choose the new grade and click Continue. Note: If this is your previous group of Senior or 12th-grade students, you can now change this to College, Adult, or leave blank rather than choosing a new grade/year.
- This will update all of their member profiles. It will also take you to a page to select what action you want to take regarding their group involvement. In this case, choose "Transfer these members to a different group" and then select the next group you want to move them to. For the oldest grades, you may choose to remove people from the group rather than transfer them, unless you have a College or Singles group for them.
Then move to the next oldest group and so on.
This process will leave the oldest group empty so that you can go to the next group down and follow the same process to promote them. Work this process backward until all the groups/classes are promoted.
Multiple grades in one class.
For classes with multiple grades in them, click on the header of your Grade column to organize the children by grade. Then select the oldest ones and follow the process to upgrade their profile and transfer them to a new group. For the others, click on each of the children one grade at a time and just change their grade leaving them in the group.
If you do not track Grade as a Member Attribute and therefore do not have a Member Attribute to first update and only need to move students to a new group:
Start with your oldest class first, select everyone in the group (or everyone to promote out). Use the drop-down menu from the green Action button to select Remove to remove the oldest students from the group if they will no longer be in a group, or Transfer if they will be moving into a College or Young Adults class.
Continue as described above, by then going to the next oldest class, selecting members then Transfer to the class above what they are currently in.
Classes with synched rosters.
A note regarding Roster Synching: For groups/classes where the Rosters are synced together, you will only need to promote one of the classes. The system will mirror the action for all other groups/classes.